Join the Daya Vieja forum

Join the Daya Vieja forumMy name's Jan and this is my website all about Daya Vieja in Spain. Register now for free to talk about Driving, hiring, buying and owning a car in Daya Vieja and much more!

Vehicle breakdown cover


Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:56pm
3 replies54 views4 members subscribed

Posts: 5

Location: Daya Vieja

1 helpful posts

Does anyone know if there is the equivalent of the RAC or The AA, Green Flag etc in Spain. The reason for this question is not so much for my own car as I have European cover  but for when I hire a car for short spells at Alicante airport. I know the car hire companies try to sell you insurance (I already have car insurance ) but they now say it does not cover breakdown or recovery costs for hire vehicle and the car hire companies want to charge so much for this.



Helpful member

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:51pm

Posts: 261

Location: Rojales

209 helpful posts

Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:51pm

All insurance cover comes with breakdown cover as it is the law in Spain.  They are called Gura and are very efficient.

Towing a car privately is illegal.


Thu May 9, 2019 7:08pm

Posts: 12

Location: Rojales

1 helpful posts

Posted: Thu May 9, 2019 7:08pm

Hi when you say they are called gura is that the name of the company or title given to say breakdown. I'm wondering how i get cover looking online. Thanks 



Legendary helpful member

Fri May 10, 2019 4:38am

Posts: 3300

Location: Almoradí

4565 helpful posts

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:38am

As Gilly says, car insurance has to include breakdown recovery. You ring the insurance company and they sent a grua, which is just a recovery vehicle, to take the vehicle wherever needed. Be aware however that a grua is to recover the vehicle and not necessarily the passengers. Some years ago I needed the grua and it only had one passenger seat, so I went with the car and left my wife at the breakdown point.

If you want the equivalent of the AA or RAC, then have a look at What happens then in the event of a breakdown is that they will send a grua who is affiliated with RACE, and he will try to fix the car at the location it broke down. I don't however know if RACE cover is for a person or just for a specified vehicle.

Sign up for free or login to reply to this topic

Want to reply to this topic? Login or register for free to post your message:

Related topics

Find more Driving, hiring, buying and owning a car topics from a particular area:

Other recommended topics

Register for free!

Login to your account

Fincas Inland
NTA Decorators
Belvedere Estates
Alhambra Tiles
Spanish Dream Property
Harmony FM
AA Free English TV
Protek - Property Management Key Holding Meet and Greet Cleaning Laundry Services General DIY and Garden Services
Michael Walsh Quality Books
Costa Caretaking
Just One Small Step - Counselling
Gran Alacant Insurances
My Cheap Removals
Almond Blossom Property Services
Advertise your business here